Vote! A Pay-It-Forward Election Day Plan
Dear Clients & Business Leaders,
In America, voting is a right but not an obligation. I often think about what the mechanics and infrastructure would have to look like if it were indeed compulsory. We would need more voting centers, volunteers, public transportation, and improved logistics coordination (under the current voting method).
But the most significant change? A paid day off.
The honest truth is that millions of Americans cannot afford the time off work to vote. Couple that with a lack of public transportation, paltry childcare options, and a growing disdain for politics, and the result is nearly 40% of the American voting population neglecting the polls. And when you consider that in the 2000 presidential election, George W. Bush defeated Al Gore by only 537 votes in a single state, it becomes overwhelmingly apparent the impact this can have.
Until such time that election day becomes a paid national holiday, it will rest on the shoulders of business leaders to empower employees with the resources needed to vote. Nexus PMG is a small company, but we do not shy away from being progressive.
So here is our Election Day Plan:
- Tuesday, November 3rd (Election Day) will be a paid day off for all employees and contractors.
- The company will cover all logistics including childcare and transportation costs.
- The company will provide masks and hand sanitizer to protect against COVID-19.
It is not just enough for our small business to adopt such a plan. Thus, this is a call to action. If you are a business leader, I ask that you pay-it-forward with a similar plan. If you can’t afford to do so during these hectic times, encourage your employees to vote, and work with other business leaders to collaborate in any way possible that promotes the culture and ease of voting.
COVID-19 is still very much present throughout our country, so be sure to take all the necessary safety precautions to protect your well-being. If you are eligible, consider voting by mail. The rules vary by state, so here are some direct links you can share with your employees.
- Understanding the EPC Contract: Contingency Basics & Beyond - April 15, 2021
- Nexus PMG Announces Strategic Reorganization - April 1, 2021
- We Must Understand Climate Change to Reach Climate Goals - March 25, 2021